Moist banana cake, easy to make and uses up those overripe bananas.
Write a review
1 hr 10 min
1 hr 10 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrates 41g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 40g margarine, plus extra for the tin
- 112g caster sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed (overripe is good too!)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 127g self-raising flour
- 130g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 185ml buttermilk (or normal milk mixed with 2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C fan.
- Lightly grease a loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Mix the margarine, sugar and bananas until well combined and banana is almost smooth.
- Add the eggs, mix again, and then add in the vanilla.
- Sift flours into the bowl, and pour in the buttermilk.
- Fold the mixture until just combined, do not over mix it.
- Pour into the cake tin, and bake for about 70 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Simon Rochester https://www.simonrochester.co.uk/